You would think that by now I would have stopped being surprised about the crap that companies will put in our foods. Still, every now and then I enjoy having the chance to complain about things and today seemed like a good time :)
I decided to make a cream of broccoli soup for supper and here were the ingredients:
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter (or so)
- 1/4 onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot flour
- 600 ml chicken broth
- 350 ml 18% cream
- salt and 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 head broccoli
In case anyone is curious, the instructions are quite simple. Melt the butter and sauté onions until soft. Slowly mix in the flour till it thickens (yes, just a basic roux). Add all the other ingredients. Cover and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Turn heat to low and simmer for at least 15 more minutes.
Let’s take a second to compare this to a can of cream of mushroom soup from the “wonderful” folks over at Campbell’s.
- water, fresh mushrooms (ok)
- modified corn starch, enriched wheat flour, soybean or canola oil, corn starch (don’t even get me started on how bad all of these are)
- milk ingredients (??)
- fresh cream (ok)
- MSG ??!
- salt, whey protein
- potassium chloride, sauterne wine (with sulphates)
- mushroom flavour (dried onions) .... uhmmm
- yeast extract
- disodium inosinate, disodium guanylate
It’s time to make food real again.